YoYoFactory 888 Classic Review: A Legend Reborn

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01314.jpg
Every once in a while, hard work really does pay off. After several months of steady hard work at my job as a bank teller, I managed to stumble upon a Major Award (reference for any fellow Christmas Story fans ;)) which included a $100 bonus! It didn’t take long for me to decide where to invest this unexpected treat; my eye had been gravitating toward this prize for several months now. My decision: YoYoFactory’s 888 Classic, a sleek and stylish throw that fulfills its legendary name.

Unleashing the Beast

The 888 marks two firsts for me in the world of yo-yoing. For one: it is my first investment of over $100 in a yo-yo, a decision I would definitely have reserved if not for that bonus. For two: it’s my first yo-yo to include the YoYoFactory Hubstack system. So upon opening the package, brand new from YoYoExpert, the first thing I noticed was the white hubstack protruding from the center. I could not wait to see what these things were all about, but on my way to the top of the box, I noticed that the usual interchangeable nameplate was amiss, leaving exposed the gold YYF logo where I was expecting to see “888.” It’s not that big of a deal, but I can’t help but say I’d expect everything to be intact on a $130 yo-yo, packaging and all.

Enough with the small talk, though. On to the inspection!

The Inspection

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01328.jpg

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01325.jpg

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01327.jpg

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01318.jpg

While visually examining the 888, of course I wanted to check out the splash finish. I have to say that the visual appeal is quite remarkable, blending machine- and manmade organic-style art exquisitely. The base color of the anno does seem a bit thin, though, as if it would scrape right off with a misjudged encounter with the concrete. The reason for this inference being that the actual shade of blue fluctuates slightly, being lighter or darker at some points, giving the impression that some areas received a thinner share of the anno than others. It’s not noticeable unless it’s looked for, but present in either case. I can’t help but wonder if the same case applies to all yo-yos with this type of finish, or if it’s exclusive to the splash. I screwed it back together, and the two sides locked together firmly into place around the fixed gap. It was finally time to give the 888 the first throw!

The First Throw

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01332.jpg
I’m not going to lie; I was pretty scared to give this thing a throw. On a first $100+ yo-yo, you’re bound to get a bit apprehensive on the first windup. Shoving all of that aside, I slapped on a brand new Alchemy String, wound it up, and gave it a toss. On the first throw… my worst fear was realized. I don’t know what it is with my luck with SPEC bearings, but this one was immediately obvious dud material. On the first throw, the 888 thudded to the bottom of the string with the same grinding vibe and responsiveness that my size A SPEC in my Dv888 had the day it died. And despite deshielding, lubing, and several minutes of break in time, no luck still. Another disappointment. After removing and tossing the dud SPEC to the side, I slapped one of my tried-and-true Konkave Bearings in and gave it the real first throw. With such a rounded inner wall, thin K-Pad response, and wide gap, the 888 flew gently down the string—until the thunk upon reaching the bottom. Once in sleeper, it floated at the bottom of the string almost completely absent of perceptible vibe. It was so vibe-free with a good bearing that at times it was hard to tell if it was even still spinning. Despite the slippy thunk upon landing, the 888 binded firmly and slip-free back to my hand. A lot of good, but also a few genuine concerns so far; the time had come to resolve these concerns by putting the 888 to the test.

The Test

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01313.jpg

Of course, I couldn’t resist long before having to bust out the hubstacks! I have to say, even though they may not be as functional in practice as on paper, the stacks are quite fun to play around with! I yanked the 888 into a pull start, and marveled at how the yo-yo could still spin long and smoothly even when introducing 2 additional bearings into the equation. Admittedly, mine does take on a bit of vibe during stack play, but I wouldn’t expect otherwise. The coolest part about the stacks is the weird gravity-vortex type feeling you get when you revolve the yo-yo around while holding both stacks. It’s tough to explain – just something you’d have to experience to understand. Just be careful the string doesn’t start winding up around the stacks and bind up on your finger/thumb while it’s in play (OUCH! :’().

Smoothness is the name of the game with the 888. From the actual spin itself, to the grinds and binds, the 888 is definitely the smoothest yo-yo I have ever played with. Even at rest or returning from a throw, this yo-yo is extremely comfort-conscious, without a sharp edge in sight. The diameter (50 mm: just slightly larger than the DV888 and smaller than the Hitman) is a perfect fit to fill out the hand. I’ve seen people dismiss this yo-yo before saying simply “stacked yo-yos have vibe.” Whoever they are, they must have their standards set astronomically high. Just as in the first sleeper, during actual play, I continually experience almost no perceptible vibe from the 888. Even on a bad wobbly throw, it seems to correct itself within the first couple seconds and return to its usual silky-smooth self.

Another aspect contributing to the 888’s smoothness is the nice floatiness due to the added center weight the hub stacks provide. At times, this yo-yo seems to defy gravity as it gently floats back down to the string, which I first noticed while performing the first pop in Superman. It feels much lighter as well during play than it is on paper, generous with the extra millisecond-midair adjustments, Trapeze to Brent Stole, or landing intricate, tight string maneuvers (also assisted by the hefty amount of width). Even while on the string the 888 elegantly glides across like a skater on ice without an ounce of snag. For a while it will almost make you want to play slower and more fluid just so you can feel every floaty detail. However, this thing will speed if you hit the gas right. I won’t say it’s by any means Ferrari fast; it’s more like a Corvette: there’s more than enough room for an extra kick in speed if you want to get it there, and it will stay stylish and smooth the whole way. The added center weight can also be a double-edged sword, as some stability may be sacrificed (in comparison with massively rim-weighted yo-yos) with sloppy play and in those moments just before the spin dies. This shouldn’t be a concern, though, for those confident in their ability to keep things straight and throw strongly, and the payoff in exchange is well pronounced. If floatiness is not your thing or stability is a concern, take the stacks off, and it’s almost like playing with a completely different yo-yo. The rim weight becomes much more prominent, and so returns the familiar thud of string contact with a heavily rim-weighted yo-yo. Yet it still retains every ounce of smoothness as with all parts intact.

Grinding on this thing is a dream. The finish on the 888 is velvet smooth, and almost… creamy? (for lack of better words, but it sure does fit the description) While I’m sure there are smoother grinding surfaces out there, the 888 gave me what I’d say was my first completely comfortable and successful arm grind. It remained perfectly controllable throughout, and had plenty of spin to spare and top off a combo. Thumb grinds are actually somewhat enjoyable on the 888 as well. With the stacks, it takes a bit of finessing, but the lip across the inner ring make this yo-yo enjoyable for a good IRG without having to worry about it slipping off your thumb.

A couple concerns:

My main concern with the 888 was the extreme unresponsiveness. Of course the huge gap gives you plenty of room for probably more string layers than you’ll ever need, but at first it felt like a good bit of spin time was suffering due to the slippy nature of the throw. And to briefly breach into subjectivity, I like to be able to feel string contact with the response all the way up until the string is completely unwound, which I felt was greatly lacking in this throw. Suicides also suffer quite a bit from this as well, as you may have trouble getting that loop to flare open at the apex. Also suffering from the extreme unresponsiveness are “trick” binds. I find that pulling off Mickey binds and flying frontstyle binds is especially difficult with such a wide gap, demanding increased accuracy in these maneuvers, especially while using a centered bearing. Luckily, after about two weeks’ break-in time, the pads seem to be much more accommodating to these demands, and I find my 888 plays better and better as the days pass. Those who much prefer stronger response may want to skip over this one (even though I think most everyone could benefit from giving this one a try), unless you’re willing to play around with the response or possibly invest in a half-width bearing (I’m honestly not completely sure if that will fit this one).

To nitpick, the bearing can at times be insanely difficult to remove from the seat, which while that most likely mainly contributes to the smoothness can also be a huge hassle. However, after several bearing removals and all of the anno scraping that goes along with them, the bearing seat becomes noticeably looser, making bearing switches a breeze while never sacrificing smoothness. Also, for those not used to floating axles, prepare yourself to stare dumbstruck at your axle ‘growing’ after what seems like spending way too much time unscrewing the yo-yo, only to realize you were unscrewing the axle from both sides.

It may seem like I’m really picking this thing apart, but I have to say that the 888 has steadily grown on me since I got it. I’d say most of my reservations were probably due to the fact that I was so used to my small bearing DV888 which plays in a totally different realm of the cosmos. Some of you might have even noticed that I had it up for trade not too long after it was purchased. At this point, this thing is not going anywhere. It has grown on me tremendously, and has since plowed its way up to becoming a favorite throw for me.

Stats and Techs

Alright kids, it’s time for some stats! Here’s what yoyonation.com has for stats on the 888 Classic:

Diameter: 50.25 mm
Width: 41.42 mm
Response System: K-Pad - Standard
Weight: 64.6 grams
Bearing Size: Large SPEC (Size C)

Unlisted specs:
The gap width is a hefty 5.07 mm, making it a near-bearing-width fixed gap accommodating piles of strings and playing with utmost unresponsiveness out of the box, provided yours ships with a good bearing.
Despite wide gap width, K-Pads offer consistently tight binds with minimal or no slippage, and it only gets better after break-in time.
The inner wall is gently sloped a la 2007 888 (of course being the one it’s modeled after) which contributes a wide catch zone and comfortable, balanced weight distribution
Finish is satin smooth—perfect for grinding, although appears to be a bit rough on strings (Beadblasted? Sodablasted?).
Hubstack system offers new opportunities for creative styles.
Removing hubstacks turns the yo-yo from floaty to rim-heavy for 2-in-1-ish experience.

Wrap It Up, B!

Wow, so much for my efforts to make this a shorter review :P. To sum it up quickly, while I hit a couple of roadblocks and had my reservations at first, I have grown to absolutely love my 888 Classic, and I see now why the 2007 888 has grown into such a huge name in the world of yo-yoing. While $120-$130 may be a hair of a stretch, I think if you’re an advanced player who either loves a floaty throw, or who loves a bunch of rim weight but are looking to try something different, you owe it to yourself to give this one a try. I mean a real try. It took me a week or two before it really sunk in for me, but the 888 Classic has now become one of my all time favorite throws, and you’d be hard pressed to disagree.

BONUS Comparison Pics!

Left to right: Hitman, DV888, 888, Dark Magic

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01333.jpg

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/DSC01334.jpg

3 Likes

Really great review. Keep it up!

1 Like

Good review. But it was way too long to be honest. You had alot of useful information in there, but next time, please try to make it a little bit shorter. Just a little constructive criticism. But other than that, great review.

Oh, and btw, I think those stats are the 888x’s stats. I am pretty sure the classic isn’t almost 68 grams.

1 Like

Woah! What a great review. Very descriptive, and good pictures. Keep it up, I would like to see more reviews from you, yours are really good.

1 Like

AMAZING review! :smiley:
lotsa Details.

1 Like

You may be right about the stats. I’ll look into it more and if I find the correct ones elsewhere I’ll adjust it. The weight rating most likely includes the hubstacks which do add quite a bit of extra weight, but again, I’ll look into it.

EDIT: You were absolutely right. Stats have been corrected!

As for the length, I really do appreciate the constructive criticism, but what would you remove to make it a more suitable length? I should first state that it’s my goal with all of my reviews to not only state my personal experience with the product (i.e. the comments about the packaging and the bearing problems), but to also make sure that the reader feels as if they’ve already used the yo-yo by the time they’re done reading. All of the information I included I thought was necessary to achieve this goal. I think my reviews are right on par (lengthwise, anyway ;)) with the high quality reviews from Dr. Yoyo on yoyoskills.com as well as the guys from highspeedyoyo.com. A big part of it is that I don’t have the ability to present the pictures in slideshow form, so it makes the review appear longer than it actually is when all of the pictures have to be laid out one after the other. But again, if there’s stuff in there you think is frivolous or filler material content-wise, please let me know (specifics please).

Thanks! I just got a Skyline, so a review for that is soon to come. That’s one that I personally can’t wait to write.

You are officially one of the best reviewers on this forum…Love to see more reviews from you in the future!!! ;D

Gorrilla_yo

1 Like

Hey, that’s pretty meaningful coming from someone who I consider one of the best reviewers on this forum ;). Thanks man! Like I said, Skyline is coming soon, so stay tuned!

Thanks…I can’t wait for a skyline review. I have yet to get one… ;D

Great review, a little long but very in-dept.

I would try different string. The Alchemy String is very slippery, especially with such a big gap. Try highlights or G-string intentus. They will help with the slippy throws.

As for the ano, its not thinner in the light areas. The yoyo is anodized first which alters the composition of the surface and then its place in dye to give it color. There is just more or less dye in those areas. This is very common with splash finishes. I think it gives the yoyo character.

1 Like

Dude, I actually think this has made my ranks of a perfect review. Seriously. I love the detail and time that you put into every section. For me, definitely not too long at all. I really enjoy reading everything someone has to say about something. Bravo. ;D

1 Like

Your a really amazing reveiwer and I look forward to your Skyline reveiw!

1 Like