How to Clean Your YoYo Bearing

How to Clean Your YoYo Bearing!

:warning: WARNING: THE CHEMICALS USED IN THIS PROCESS ARE DANGEROUS. EXPOSURE HAS BEEN LINKED TO SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS. USE THEM ONLY OUTDOORS OR IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. THESE CHEMICALS ARE HIGHLY FLAMMABLE.

IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 PARENT SUPERVISION IS REQUIRED. IF YOU ARE OVER 18, DON’T BE AN IDIOT.

WEAR GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION, AVOID SKIN CONTACT, AVOID IGNITION SOURCES, AND CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR PROPER DISPOSAL GUIDELINES. USE ONLY OUTDOORS OR IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS.

Method 1

1. Take the bearing out of the yoyo (For YoYoJam yoyos or stuck bearings, use plyers to get it out)
  2. Deshiled the bearing, using a needle to unhook the C-Clip from around the edge of the yoyo.
  3. Take off the shield after taking off the C-Clip. Usually, it will fall off, or you may have to bang it off.
  4. Take something such as Mineral Spirits (Lighter Fluid can work as well, but isnt as recommended. as it may possibly leave a sticky residue behind that will slow the ball bearing down over time.
  5. Pour the Mineral Spirits (or whatever you choose to use) into a jar of some sort, or even a contact lens case.
  6. Put the bearing in the case, and shake for 5 minutes, then take it out and let it sit on a paper towel for 5 minutes.
  7. After letting the bearing dry, spin it on a pencil to get all of the mineral spirits out, because these chemicals can affect polycarbonate.
  8. Take some YoYoJam Thin Lube (or lubrication you choose) and drop some on a needle. Then, put it in the bearing, and touch about 2 balls. Then, spin it on a pencil to spread the lube in.
  9. Reshield the bearing.
  10. Plug and play.
    Note: You don’t have to lubricate the bearing, you can simply clean it, dry it, then put it back in. This is known as “Running the Bearing Dry.” While you can do this, it isnt as recomennded, and can kill your ball bearing faster.

Method 2

1. Deshield the Bearing
  2. Use a can of compressed air to blow out everything in the bearing.
  3. Reshield, Plug, and Play.

Method 3

1. Take some YoYoJam Thin Lube
  2. Drop a Drop in the bearing
  3. Spin it on a pencil to get the lube all around.
  4. Plug and play.

There are several other ways to clean your bearings. However, these are the basic steps. Hopefully, if André makes a modding section, something similar to this could be stickied, or put into the guides. Now, I’m gonna go finish my other guides! :wink:

Mod Edit 4/21/2017 Alternate solvents etc.
Mineral Spirits, Acetone, Lighter Fluid, Denatured alcohol, Simple Green

Also see Frank Difeyo’s tech tips

Still don’t get it? Look here:

:slight_smile:

65 Likes

that is a good guide.

1 Like

Wow. Simply informative. Very nice. Il have to do that some time. Once I get my thin lube.

How about a round of applause for Samad… The forum ninja master…

Wooooo Clap Clap Clap!

Bump for completion

You did a good job explaining.  Here’s a video of it too.

Whoops, yeah, thanks for reminding me, haha. I said in my original post I would add it.

Lol. Keep up the good guides Samad.

Is it OK to not take apart your bearing? I don’t really trust myself to do that. ;D

Yeah, I was worried about that at first. But just keep a magnet close by and you can just stick things onto the magnet. Then, stick the magnet onto something else. You’ll never lose it that way. But if you don’t take apart your bearing, you might not be able to clean the inside as well. You can still lube it by putting lube on the shield and kinda sinking it in, so it should still work.

You use a magnet? I just clean my table and put it there, even if i lose it - I have an extra piece of it cant find it Uhm… Never mind. All i have to say is BE CARFUL

~Steven

Just use a magnet and stick the magnet somewhere on your table.

i play mine deshielded, its just so much easier to clean, and it plays smoother too…

K, how do you take off the c-clip? I’m not sure I’m doing it right. It takes forever.

It shows you how in the video in Samad’s original post starting at around 0:40.

Can’t really see. ;D

1 Like

You can see everything you need to.

Needle --> Gap in C-clip x Pry.
Needle goes into the “gap” in the c-clip, then you basically just pry it out. It might take some work if you are inexperienced, but you’ll get it.

That’s what I don’t get. The word pry.

1 Like

It’s hard to explain. Stick in the needle right against the outside of the clip and try to kind of push it out.