Anodizing yoyos.

Hey guys whats up. I was wondering if anybody here knew how or knows somebody that knows how to anodize, paint, and or splash yo-yos. The reason i ask is because me and a couple of friends are designing our own yo-yos. And since it isnt very fun to just have an aluminum yo-yo right off the mill, we thought we could have some colorways of ours on our yo-yos. Can anybody help?

1 Like

Lol

?? Okay, let’s be rude

To answer the original question, you’ll have to find someone that can anodize or powder coat them for you. If you’ve just got a couple yoyos that you and your friends are making, it might be a good idea to just have them powdercoated as that gives you more options and is a bit more durable. I would contact YoYoSpirit or Mullicabob about that, they’re both very talented.

If you’ve got more than just a few, you’ll want to find someone that can anodize yoyos for you! I believe I saw a post a while back about someone offering their anodizing skills, but I can’t recall who it was.

1 Like

For anodization, check out England1414.

1 Like

if you’r making yoyos then shouldnt be too hard to find some scrap aluminum to

Your best bet would be to go local and find someone that can anodize a batch of your throws

Other than that Kitchy appears to be doing some anodizing

Since your question wasn’t directly appointed an answer but rather suggestions were given, I will answer your question directly, but I warn you, these people are making these recommendations because its easier to have someone else do it, and anodizing is an electrochemical process that involves use of Sulfuric Acid (Battery Acid), which improper knowledge of or misuse can quickly lead to serious injury. I hold no liability to what you do with this information, I am simply just answering your question on how the process works.

To prep, the aluminum needs to be cleaned extremely well with soap and water.
The typical home anodizing process uses a 10-20% Sulfuric Acid solution diluted with distilled water as an acid bath. An aluminum/ lead plate or two to act as cathodes are connected to the negative lead of a power source and placed into the solution around the sides. The part being anodized (the anode) is connected to the positive lead of the power source and suspended in the solution (making sure there is no contact with the cathodes). Typically for a home set up, a power source of 7-12v at 2-4amps is used. After about 1 1/2 hours, the power is turned off and the part is moved to a distilled water bath.

It’s a good idea to prep the dye while the part is anodizing. The dye can be prepped by adding about 4 tablespoons to 1/2 gallon of distilled water. The part should be placed in the dye at room temp then slowly increased to about 100F. While the part is sitting in the dye, more distilled water should be brought to a boil. After about 15 minutes in the dye the part should be placed in the boiling water for about 30 minutes to seal the surface.

The longer the part sits in the dye, the darker it will become, keeping this in mind as it will become slightly lighter during the sealing process.

Edit: I should also mention that the electrolyte used in this process (The distilled sulfuric acid solution) will produce fumes, therefore a well ventilated area is needed as well as proper safety equipment (Which should go without saying) such as gloves, a respirator, and eye protection, etc. A work surface such as glass is also handy and although sulfuric acid diluted by 50% or lower is easier to handle, an acid neutralizer should be kept handy and ready to go. A low diluted solution such as 10-20% as mentioned above can be easily neutralized by sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in case of spills.

1 Like

that is probably the first explanation ive heard of what is anodizing since ive joined the forum…

2 Likes

England1414, from what I hear, is pretty good at it. Also, you can look up Kitchyo Anodizing. He does a good job as well.

1 Like

I have an interest in science and engineering and have experience with this process. Although anodizing in simple terms is just protecting a metal with an oxide layer through an electrochemical/ electrolytic process.

In the process I mentioned above the part is the anode and the electrolyte is the distilled sulfuric acid solution. The sulfuric acid solution can also be used many times before being replaced which is handy because disposing of acid is a tedious process as you cannot simply just pour it down your kitchen drain. Aside from not wanting to mess with a corrosive acid, this is why most people just have someone more experienced do it. Although if a home shop wants to produce an item in larger numbers, the process of anodizing yourself saves money in the long run allowing for more funds to replace the materials used.

I can’t imagine it would be difficult to neutralize sulphuric acid with a corresponding base. Not that I’m recommending anything other than investigating regional laws and guidelines for disposing of acids. :wink:

I actually added an edit to my original post a little bit ago that contained some safety information including info on neutralizing. An acid diluted by 50% or more is easier to handle which is why it is commonly sold already 50% diluted. 10-20% is quite simple and quick to dilute using sodium bicarbonate, commonly known as baking soda (small amounts at a time due to the reaction). You can dispose of neutralized acid yourself, although if you don’t know what you are doing, I would simply recommend taking it so a hazardous waste drop off, neutralized or not.

You will know when the acid is completely neutralized when it stops foaming when adding sodium bicarbonate. The same reaction occurs during a science experience I am sure most of us have done as a kid, adding baking soda to vinegar. This is the exact same reaction because vinegar is also an acid, just a much weaker acid than that of sulfuric or hydrochloric acids.

or just use sodium bisulfate

There’s a reason anodizing is never explained in detail here… this isn’t an anodizing forum full of adults, it’s a YoYo board full of kids.

The process deals with nasty chemicals and electricity, it can be very dangerous is not done properly… that is not the kind of stuff we need.

Do I think most kids are going to even attempt it? No, but it just takes one idiot with an incomplete understanding to get hurt by something they read here.

Simply put, this isn’t the appropriate place for the discussion. The internet is huge, this information can be found elsewhere by those looking seriously for it.

Kyle

2 Likes

Paint the yoyo!

Get some spray, and go to town!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/how-anodize-aluminum-76789.html