A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

I’m quitting …

yo-yoing with bearing yoyos for a year, that is. :slight_smile:

Starting on November 1 I’ll be playing only fixed axle for a year. If you’re interested in my experience with this, I’ll be writing occasionally about it here: jrodsfixedaxleyoyoadventure.blogspot.com

This is something I’ve been wanting to do since Ed Haponik (http://kinopah.blogspot.com/) began his yearlong adventure with the “eh” yoyo – I found his experiment with simplicity and self-discovery inspiring and have imagined that I’d grow a fair bit by imposing this limit on myself. Thanks for the inspiration, Ed! One of the most profound realizations I’ve had as an adult is that, despite the commonsense view that they’re a bad thing, limits are actually a crucial element of creativity and growth – in fact, I’d go so far as to say that they make creativity and effectiveness possible.

That said, the main reason for making a bunch of noise about this is that I tend to do much better holding myself to commitments when I declare them publicly. I’ll also be getting a halfway decent camera so that I can share tidbits of my experience and any interesting tricks I happen upon, which I imagine will also help me stick with it. Does anyone know if the GoPro 3 is compatible with the MacBook Pro, or can you perhaps offer a different recommendation that is?

A few caveats.

1. I’ll not be limiting myself to just one yoyo. I really dig the minimalism of sticking with just one yoyo, but I want to work on my very weak looping skills through the process, and settling on a single yoyo is part of what’s kept me from committing to do this – so, obstacle removed.

If anyone is interested, I’ll mostly be using stuff I already own – Tom Kuhn No Jives (in butterfly setup) and TMBR Sullivans and Lovejoys made by Colin Leland for the 1a stuff, and Tom Kuhn No Jives (in imperial setup) for the bit of looping I’ll do.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k74/rigo311/PA070365_zpsa22d501e.jpg

1. There are a few exceptions when I’ll use bearing yoyos. They include:
    a. When someone sends me a yoyo to modify. I’d feel wrong about not testing a yoyo I’ve cut up for someone before sending it back to them. But I’ll play it just enough to make sure it’s good to go – probably just a couple of throws.
    b. Sometimes at the clubs I’ve run I’ve been asked to help someone fix her or his yoyo. So, same as the first exception – I’ll throw their yoyo just long enough to make sure it’s fixed.
    c. When someone asks me to try out a yoyo they’ve designed or modified or somesuch. Again, just enough to check it out. Honestly, this is mostly so that I don’t have to deal with the awkwardness of telling someone that I’m not able to try their yoyo. Which relates to the next issues:

2. I’ll update this as other caveats/exceptions occur to me. A big part of what I dig about yo-yoing is that it’s fun and social, and I’d prefer not to be rigid about this in a way that impedes the joy I get out of this delightful toy.

That’s all for now. I’m excited to finally get started on this!

Update - I’ve combined this thread with Bertos and made this into an invitation. I’ll still be starting my challenge on November 1, but the official challenge will begin on January 1, 2015 - “Fixed Axle '15.” If you’re interested in joining us for a year of fixed axle awesomeness, drop a line in this thread. I’ll update this as details are ironed out.

12 Likes

Good luck!

I could never do this.

I did this from 1988 to 2013. 2013 is when I found out about unresponsive yoyo’s. However some of my yoyo’s did have bearings, like the Turbo bumble bee :slight_smile:

Have fun this next year, I’ll keep an eye on your blog.

Cool. I’ll be keeping an eye out for your updates.

Same.

Sub. Can’t wait to see where this goes. Good luck Jrod.

All I can say is: have fun!

I can hold on to your bearing yoyos to reduce the temptation.

I tried doing this just for a MONTH last year and couldn’t make it. I enjoyed what I learned about wood yoyos, but what I learned about myself was that I had a new respect for bearings. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m here to offer all the support I can Jrod! Allow me to assist you by recommending that you send all your bearing yoyos to me for safe keeping, just so you don’t fall off the wagon. :wink: I’ll take great joy in caring for those soon to be neglected yoyos. ;D

Make your journey a celebration every day!

1 Like

This is the main reason I’m making a public declaration about my intentions, which has worked wonders for me in the past - most notably when I quit smoking. As much as I wish this wasn’t the case, I sometimes opt for what’s easy. I WANT to do this. I also know that it’ll be hard, but not as hard as having to deal with the embarrassment I’d feel of not following through now that I’ve made a big ruckus about doing it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! And especially for the offers to take all of my yoyos - I can tell it’s motivated by a deep concern and utterly selfless desire to see me succeed, so I’ll certainly think about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw the title and saw who wrote it and was shocked. :slight_smile: Never judge a post by its title.

I wish you luck. I could never do that.o

Have fun!

Got a Flying Camel pretty soon after I started yoyoing and it was so hard that I swore off fixies for life. 3 years later, I was ready for the challenge and did mostly fixed axle for 4-5 months, but not as an imposed limitation but because I fell in love. Not saying anything against limitations, mind you. =] I’ll be lurking at the very least!

Good luck man! Glad that your here to do this for all the rest of us that couldn’t bare to! Hope you can pull this off and that you have a fun time doing it. It will be interesting to read up on your blog posts and learn about your experience!

Good luck have fun!!!

I have been messin’ about with my TMBR Sullivan the past couple weeks which has only resulted in the humiliating realization of just what a pathetic excuse for a player I truly am. You’re a better man than I JRod… then again that isn’t granting you credit for much.

best wishes in your endeavor, jason!
some untwisted string is en route. hit me up anytime you get frustrated. i’ve been there. it was tough, but (for me) worth it. i know you already know, but you won’t be the same player at the end of it, and there’s no going back (although i guess that’s true of every day).

highest fives and warmest regards.

Thanks a ton, Ed!

I just ordered a bunch of fancy yoyos, I should have got 2 cheapo loopers but i always spend my cash on fancy stuff, I need to get 2 cheapos that match to learn 2 handed loops, bearing yos seem too unresponsive for me on my left hand, just one of those things i say ill do but never get around to, i did loop a old wood fixed for a half hour last week though, I cant shoot the moon nearly as good as I used to, and i wasnt that good at it back then either.