Barely Legal x Yoyofficer - Nifty

Barely Legal (yoyo brand) is small Czech brand, run by Czech national champion Robert Kucera and former Clyw team member Zdenek Hybl. Yoyofficer joined forces with Barely guys to make our first collaboration model, NIFTY!

Nifty was designed in close cooperation between our two companies and than manufactured by Yoyofficer, to ensure great build quality, beautiful colors and smooth blasted surface.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10487596_530022857124917_487246802421486091_n.jpg

We all love Nifty’s performance, it offers great combination of lower weight and powerful spin. It can play really fast and agile, but still has good stability and spin time for long combos. And thanks to open stepped V-shape, landing tricks is as easy as it gets.

Nifty is beautiful design, competition beast that is yet really fun to play and costs just 70$!

Barely team prepared this really nice and funny promo video for Nifty release

Specification
Diameter: 57.8 mm
Width: 43,5 mm
Weight: 64.2 g
Gap width: 4.3 mm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10410425_530022850458251_6911479619955488770_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10456822_530022853791584_6297785102674707009_n.jpg

4 colours in first run
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10502481_530401083753761_6801818461137901782_n.jpg

Oh that Yoyo looks awesome but my it’s expensive.

The blue and purple colorway looks nice. Reminds me of a larger diameter Imp.

$70. Not really.

Still on the high end for Yoyofficer.

Of course, this is a collaboration, so the price is quite fair.

Seems like a fair price to me. I also love the diameter to weight ration on this one… it’s going to feel lovely in play.

Great promo video!!!

$70 used to be the standard for budget metals.

The Brave is $70 and the Eager is $80. I think that it’s a fair price. Plus the shape screams wow.

Not till recently did the $50 metal become commonplace. I’m just glad it’s not $145.

“Barely Legal” - is an unfortunate name brand to label a yoyo with. Here in the US; it is something completely different… ::slight_smile:

$70 is not too much for a high quality, great performing yoyo.

1 Like

They knew.

When will these be available? Will YoyoExpert definitely be carrying them? And, look at that awesome colorway in the first run.

Just tell Yoyofficer to keep that color in production on every single model, and they are guaranteed to sell at least one of them. :wink:

Yep, from side it uses similiar design to Imp. I was designing Nifty with Barely guys and I always really liked Imps weight, so I pushed it to this new design.

Well, when guys started Barely, they focused mostly on local market and thought that it’s “cool” name. Luckily for them, most kids buying their yo-yos and their parents has no idea what that means :slight_smile: We hope shops around the world will udnerstand it’s more like a joke and will not have problems selling these.

They are in few shops already, I dont know if Yoyoexpert ordered or not, I heard they might have some problem with Barely Legal name.

About coloring, I’m trying to convince boss to keep colors more consistent between all of our models, you now can see, that Jaeger, Lava, Musket and Nifty uses mostly similiar colors.

Thanks Bina. I’m looking forward to picking one up.

I have no problem with the name. To me, barely legal means “legal,” but just by a hair. There are other names more questionable in yo-yo. And, I have a sense of humor, so no problem there.

Well, I know this is a thread for the news, not the name, and I’m going to buy one, so I’ll leave it at that. Thanks again. :wink:

Sounds a lot like Rolf Harris’ defense… :stuck_out_tongue:

I too have to agree that the name “Barely Legal” really isn’t the kind of thing you want to be throwing around a lot. Especially for us UK residents… with all this scandal with the BBC, they’ll be putting me under investigation in no time.

That being said, looks like a great yoyo. Might pick one up as my first YYO.

I have bad news for you, Yoyoexpert will not carry Nifty :frowning:

About name, in Czech Republic and China, we just dont get it as something horribly wrong, but I can understand kids googling this anme can be problem. Next run will probably change just to Barely Yoyofficer, will that be better?

Who is Rolf Harris? Nevermind, I’m not that curious actually. Maybe on a slow day I’ll check Wikipedia.

I think not everyone thinks of the term in that context. Barely legal to vote maybe? Nothing wrong with that. :-\ I think anything really wrong with it is all in people’s minds, creating a context for the term on their own. But, for me it’s not really a term I use on a regular basis, so a negative context didn’t pop into my head when I first read it. As far as the Google thing, people can see this thread and try to Google too, not much difference. :-\

Back on topic though. Too bad YYE will not have them, but I know they’re around. :slight_smile: I do like the name “Nifty.”

He was a childrens TV presenter that was recently convicted of… doing bad things. I didn’t realise he wasn’t well known in the US so I guess the joke missed it’s mark. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, I agree that the name itself is all down to interpretation, and I myself didn’t really even think about it until Geezer pointed it out. I guess it’s just one of those “better to be safe than sorry” sort of things, as it only takes one displeased parent to cause a whole lot of fuss for the websites carrying it.

Bina, did YYE cite the name as the reason why they weren’t willing to carry it, or was it something else? I’m hoping it still makes it to UK stores.

Also, Barely Yoyofficer would be fine, yes.

Yes, it’s because of name.

Ah, I see what you mean about Harris. I really do think it’s all down to interpretation. I know each store has to make that decision.

I agree that “Barely YoyOfficer” is a nice collaboration term. Or, make a deal with Barely Legal to just use the name YoyOfficer for certain stores selling the Nifty that might take issue with it. I think that would work for the stores, and still help sell a lot of throws too. As long as Barely Legal gets their share of the profits in the end, it shouldn’t be a huge deal.

I like the look of the throw, and I’ll pick one up. :slight_smile: By the way Bina, you’re doing a great job for YYO. I bought several YYO throws based on your posts, descriptions, or reviews. :wink: Thanks again.

Agreed. You’re pretty much the face of YYO, I don’t really think I would have given them a second thought if you hadn’t been pushing them as you have. I hope they’re rewarding you handsomely for all the publicity and sales you’re getting them. :wink: