"Old Folks" who Can Sort of Throw BATTLE 2014 - Discussion and Rules

http://gregpettit.ca/images/title_card_720.png

Voting link is live! The same link is used for both divisions:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3QPZVD2

HOW TO JUDGE

Prerequisites: Be a YYE member and have an opinion! You do not need to understand “contest judging”.

Overview: Voters are asked to cast votes based on trick execution. Voters do not need to count string hits or even have a particularly educated opinion… if a yoyoer has tricks that for whatever arbitrary reason “look better / seem better / impress more”, that’s where the vote should go.

It is not an artistic performance or art direction (nice-looking or well-edited video) contest; I want yoyoers to feel comfortable that shooting 1 minute on their phone will still put them on equal footing with the “movie directors” out there!

Example of Doing it Right: You might think to yourself, “wow, ThrowerX looked great there. Those tricks put a smile on my face, and that one at 0:30 was just awesome-looking. I liked ChuckerY’s tricks a lot, too, but there was something about ThrowerX’s tricks that just kept me more interested!”

Example of Doing it Wrong: You might think to yourself, “I know ThrowerX had some real bangers, but that shaky camera phone made it a bit hard to follow. ChuckerY might not have been as smooth, but I really liked their fancy setting and using a nice camera sure helped make a better overall impression.”

Those are just examples… I’m merely trying to emphasize that you are to exercise your opinion, but that the opinion should be about tricks.

Once all the votes are collected, the results are calculated like this:

1st place vote : 3 pts
2nd place vote: 2 pts
3rd place vote: 1 pt

The videos are found here:

Division One: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,76154.0.html
Division Two: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,76155.0.html

Hey everybody! It has been exactly one year since I proposed a video battle for the older members of the forum. It was a rousing success and I am going to run the battle again this year.

For the historians or the curious, here’s are last year’s links:

discussion 2013: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,61706.0.html
division one videos 2013: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,62984.0.html
division two videos 2013: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,62985.msg671366.html

The Rules

• Limited to 1A because… 1A!
  • You have to self-qualify as “old”. There is no actual age restriction other than being an adult… but be honest about whether you feel like one of the oldsters or not!
  • Two categories:
    • Category 1: zero months to roughly a year (or a year and a few months) of… “new”?.. experience? (childhood doesn’t count!)
    • Category 2: the rest of all y’all creaky buggers. This year I am in category 2
  • 1 minute time limit with a second or two leeway.
  • edits (cutting, changing camera angle, etc) are allowed between tricks
  • New Due date: July 6, 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time.
  • Music: optional but encouraged! I can help you out if need be
  • Sponsor graphic to appear for 3 full seconds at the beginning of each submission. Download’em here: 1920X1080, 1280X720
  • Links to videos may be submitted to me, GregP. If you don’t have YouTube/Vimeo/other hosting, send me a PM and we’ll work out a way to share your videos. I’m pretty good with the intertubes.

Judging Criteria
When it comes time to vote, the voters will be asked to do so based on trick execution. Voters do not need to count string hits or even have a particularly educated opinion… if a yoyoer has tricks that for whatever arbitrary reason “look better / seem better / impress more”, that’s where the vote should go. It is not an artistic performance or art direction (skill with cinematography) contest; I want yoyoers to feel comfortable that shooting 1 minute on their phone will still put them on equal footing with the “movie directors” out there!

Feel free to ask for more clarification about the rules and judging criteria! That’s part of what this thread is for.

Prizes
Prize allocation yet to be determined, but here’s a general list. Thanks to the donors thus far!

• 5-pack of Unknown strings to everyone who enters as a token of appreciation
  • 2sickyoyos Gambit yoyo by raffle – everyone who submits a video is entered to win this amazing yoyo provided by 2sickyoyos

Division One:
1st - One Drop Valor, plus $75 YYE Gift Certificate
2nd - MagicYoyo N12 from yooldman, Hitman X from GregP, Tropical Strings, and $30 YYE Gift Certificate
3rd - Bonus strings from Ginny, holster from thehandcoder, $15 YYE Gift certificate

Divison Two:
1st - First choice of One Drop Valor or Yomega Glide, plus $75 YYE Gift Certificate
2nd - remaining One Drop Valor or Yomega Glide plus $30 YYE Gift Certificate
3rd - Bonus strings from Ginny, holster from thehandcoder, $15 YYE Gift certificate

Let me get this one out of the way: I will be part of the contest. The whole thing started when yooldman and myself agreed to wage fierce battle… and I know the flames of our ages-old yoyo rivalry have only been fanned since then. The voting is by anonymous forum vote and it is anyone’s to win… I just happen to be the guy who has charged himself with organizing things so that they get done. I’ll be darned if I’m going to pass on the chance to enter again. :wink: HOWEVER… I am going to defer any prizes I win; everything will “cascade” as if I didn’t place. But I will reserve the right to brag wildly!

So what say you, cantankerous cane-toting, walker-using Old Folks of YYE? Shall we have at it?

TO BATTLE!!!

ow, my shoulder…

8 Likes

I’ll get you this year.*

*Actual results may vary.

I’d be willing to sponsor this!

Sounds like fun, although looking at last years category 2 Beezy just destroyed everyone - I’m nowhere near that level. I might give it a go though…

I might try this. I guess I’m in the 2nd category, although I’m not that good. Hopefully I will have time to submit a video.

G-g-g-game on. And actually currently I’m working on this trick where I pretend to be asleep in an arm chair with a book. It’ll be perfect for this. Although it’s in need of some slipper-based finesse.

EDIT: Greg as always you get a written thanks because I can’t write less and just press a little button.

Wow, beezy is good!

I’ll be working on something small to give to all entrants, just like last year. That way even if you don’t place you get a small token of your willingness to put a minute of your skills out there.

I imagine the contest being just as much a chance for we “old folks” to put out a video and have an excuse to do so. :wink: At least a few of the entrants last year confided in me that they did not enter “to win” but rather to share and foster some camaraderie. :slight_smile: Hope lots of folks feel the same way again this year!

Thanks for putting this together, Greg! I can’t wait, man.

This whole thing is so great. I love to see the old folks who can still sorta throw sorta throw.

Love this. Thanks for putting it together Greg! Excited to see what people throw together this year!

I’m going to destroy you all.

I believe you. :wink:

Move along, youngster! Nothing to see here!

hey yooldman…

yooldlady may jump in the fray…

ginny

;D

I’m in again. I believe I’m still category one. I’d only been doing it a month or 2 at last years contest.

Glad to see the replies! I dont’ see a thank you button for this… is that because it’s in the general discussion forum? Bah! I want to thank ALL of you!

Just got back from NER, going to spend time with my lovely wife. But in the meantime-- there’s at least one SWEET yoyo up for grabs as a prize! The 2sickyoyos Gambit, a personal favourite of mine, has been donated by Joey Serrano. Young guy wanting to support the old folks! More on the Gambit and 2sickyoyos when I have more time to sit down and write.

Steve, feel free to crush us. Haha! It would be an honor to have you enter.

Ginny, looking forward to seeing that video!

Everyone else, lots of time to pick some tricks and do some filming! I’m lucky: I botched my NER routine, which is 1 minute long… so now I can more or less just do my NER routine and pass it off as new material. :smiley:

Talk to you all soon!

I was wondering the same thing, I was going to give a Thank You to your original post…

I’m 3 days under a year as of today. I think I may be finally ready to put together my first video. At 34, I’m one of the “Old Guys,” right?

Looks like I will have to wait until next year to enter. Still working on learning. :slight_smile: