Fixed Axle February 2014, Rules.... (1 March 2014, closed for more entries)

Hello everyone…!

Please keep an eye on this thread, it will be updated as details are finalised. Rules are subject to change as we see fit, for the betterment of the contest.

FAF2014
FAF2014 is a video contest run by Waylon and myself (Frank).  We both love playing yoyo, and we both enjoy fixed axle too!

A lot of players focus so hard on getting good, sometimes they forget to have fun.  This contest isn’t about how good you are, it’s about embracing fixed axle yoyos, the joys, the sorrows, the ups and downs.

This is an Artistic contest.  Winners will be the videos that entertain or inspire us the most, regardless of your skill level (but if you can do some crazy bangers and would like to show off, we’d love to see that too!).

We want you to share your personal yoyo journey, to tell a story or do something absolutely crazy artistic.  It could be something lighthearted, or something serious.  We want you to make us feel, to connect, to make us laugh, smile, or maybe even cry.  Anyone can participate, and anyone can win.

Who can enter?
Anyone, anywhere, prizes will be shipped worldwide at our expense.  Last year our winners came from Canada and Kenya.

Sponsored players are welcome to enter. Last year’s entrants and winners are also welcome to enter.

Deadline
All videos must be uploaded to YouTube and posted on the FAF 2014 Facebook page by 12:01am March 1, 2014 EST. We cannot accept any late submissions for any reason.

If you don’t have Facebook, we will only accept your submission if you contact us via PM to make an alternative arrangement, and only if you have a very valid reason (eg. your parents don’t allow you to have an account).

“I dont lyk FB i think its dum” is not a valid reason. Get over it.

Please keep an eye on the FAF2014 Facebook page for updates:

Video format
All videos must include “FAF 2014:” followed by the name of the video in the title. (Example: FAF 2014: This One is a Winner).

All videos must start with the FAF 2014 logo, followed by the two sponsor banners. Please hold the FAF logo for at least 3 seconds, and each of the sponsor banners for 5 seconds.  Please make sure that each sponsor banner is clearly visible for at least 4 seconds (this will allow time for fade-ins / transitions, should you wish to do so).  Failure to do so may result in disqualification.

We have supplied the logo, as well as both banners in standard format (4:3, for “older” cameras and screens), as well as a widescreen format (16:9, for newer cameras).

Video duration: 2 - 6min of your actual video (not including the sponsor banners / images.

We will allow two entrants per person, but will only allow the video we feel is better to win a prize (to prevent one person winning two prize packages).

Videos must be fixed axle in nature, or involve a fixed axle theme somehow.

Music: We prefer you to use something royalty free. If you do use commercial music - we will not be held responsible should Youtube block it or mute the audio.  It is YOUR responsibility to make sure we can all watch and enjoy.

Age restriction: Please try and aim for something that is friendly to all ages, or at least PG-13.  We don’t want to restrict your creativity, and will allow some lee-way here, provided it is done in good taste. We may even tolerate a couple of swear words in the music. This is up to the judges discretion, however. If you are unsure, please shoot us a PM with your choice of music so that we can listen and give you the all-clear.

Judges
Who are the judges this year…?

Frank - kingpin of the South African yoyo underground.  Frank has been interviewed on national TV a bunch of times, appeared in newspapers, and runs corporate yoyo teambuilding events. He has played live to audiences of 2500+.
You can read about him here:
http://www.theyoyologist.co.za/index.html  …or see him play fixed axle here:
http://www.theyoyologist.co.za/yoyo-videos/fixed-axle.html

Waylon - hugely active in the yoyo and skilltoy world, if you haven’t chatted to him on some online platform somewhere, you’re probably living under a rock. He has been doing the sponsor announcement videos and is coordinating most aspects of the FAF 2014 contest. You can read an interview with him here:
http://www.theyoyologist.co.za/yoyo-articles/waylon-crase-interview.html

Jake Elliot - we are so very pleased to announce that Jake Elliot is our guest judge for FAF 2014! Jake is an all round good guy… and the US National 5A Champion! He certainly knows what it takes to control a yoyo! He also has his own string company and has invested a lot of time and effort into working out the perfect string formulas!

What can I win?
Lots of cool swag!

At the moment it looks like there will be an AMAZING package for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place, as well as two spot prizes, awarded as we see fit. More details to follow… (and subject to change).

Keep an eye on the Sponsors thread for updates of the prize packages as they come in:
http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,70752.0.html]

Terms
By entering this contest, you give FAF2014 and our sponsors the public rights to your video so that we can use it and share it on any public platform we see fit (like what I’m about to do below!).  We will, however, never claim ownership and always give you credit.

Rules are subject to change in the spirit of fairness towards the contestants, sponsors and ourselves.

Please direct any questions to us via PM, either here or on the FAF 2014 Facebook page.

Thank you
Frank & Waylon

Last year’s winners:

Greg from Canada:

Benson from Kenya:

Bump… just to keep you all on your toes and reaching for the cotton :slight_smile:

So ready for this. I’m not doing a last minute rush job like i did last year. I even got a few “Bangers” that I like. It’s nothing we haven’t seen before but its fun as heck trying to perfect them.

Edit: “Bangers” … that was supposed to be sarcastic. I never said i was good at them. Expect a lot of footage of me failing … but with a smile on my face.

I’ve got a few new tricks since last year, but no bangers. I will still be entering, though!

Lets say the video is 7 minutes. Will you not accept it? Im just curious because my video might be a little over.

I’m sorry, but the rules have been posted too long for us to make that change. We discussed it and don’t think it would be fair to players who would have liked an extra minute but are already preparing videos under 6 minutes. And in the spirit of fair play, we can’t make an exception.

Bear in mind, the rules do allow for two entries per player. Perhaps that may help you out.

Ok thank you!

Can’t wait ;D starting to shoot the video this coming monday. 8) I have a trick
I made up, it will at the end of the video, I would love to hear feedback and thoughts. Thanks.

Correction I mixed several 1a moves togther to create my move :stuck_out_tongue:

Decided to get ready for FAF last night… twisted up some, all the bearing yoyo’s are put up out of sight. Here’s my yoyo kit for the next month. ;D

Fresh sponsor updates on the Facebook page :slight_smile:

Bump - Jake Elliot announced as guest judge!

The sponsors keep rolling in!

Modified the original post to include:

Age restriction: Please try and aim for something that is friendly to all ages, or at least PG-13. We don’t want to restrict your creativity, and will allow some lee-way here, provided it is done in good taste. We may even tolerate a couple of swear words in the music. This is up to the judges discretion, however. If you are unsure, please shoot us a PM with your choice of music so that we can listen and give you the all-clear.

Annnd it’s on!

Images (logo + two sponsor banners) can be downloaded from the official Facebook page:

…or by following this link:
http://www.theyoyologist.co.za/contest.html

Tick tock, tick tock…

I’m trying, I’m trying…

Tickety tock, tickety tock!

Don’t I know it! Wrapped up filming last night, tonight editing… if I’m sane and smart, will FINISH my editing tonight, too. But I’m neither sane nor smart, so I’ll probably be doing my final export tomorrow night at 11:57pm. :wink:

Greg

Lol, tickety tockety, tickety tockety…