Building a Better Talent Show Routine

So, as Yoyoers, we like to compete in Talent Shows. We just do. Oftentimes, we do well. Sometimes, we don’t. This information will hopefully help you build a better routine that will be fun and score high!

1. They have not seen this before. This means that they are most likely expecting some pretty boring stuff, because alot of people don’t know what yoyoing has been up to since the nineties. You can really wow them with your skills, even if you don’t think you’re that good.

2. This is not a yoyo contest. This is a talent show. Doing complicated tricks is not as important as doing flashy tricks that the crowd will like. Doing Kamikaze, White Buddha, Ladder Escape, Haddock, Spirit Bomb and Pure 143 would impress me greatly. However, most of the people in the stands are thinking, “That all looks the same to me.” Here are some crowd pleasing tricks to certainly use:
    Revolutions, Whips, Suicides, Slack (Especially slack that moves quickly through the air), Eli Hops, Anything that goes behind your head, back, arm, or leg, Lacerations, Boing-E-Boing, SeaSick, Mach 5, Picture Tricks, Stop N Go.

3. Have style. Move around, use flow and showmanship. If something really cool is about to happen in your trick, try pausing right before, and as you do it, look at the audience. Look up as often as you can, it makes everything look easy, and that you’re used to performing. Move in the direction of the yoyo if possible, anything that would excite the audience.

4. Switch it up. Don’t know 5A? Learn it. Also, learn some 4A, 2A, and/or 3A. You don’t have to be that good. Three or four tricks of each will keep the audience interested.

5. Music: Make the music fit. I really think that instrumental songs work better for shows like this, but that’s just a preference thing.

6. Do what they recognize. I start my routine often with Rock the Baby, Walk the Dog, and things of the sort. This makes them excited, some of them might know how to do these tricks. Then, you bust out the newer tricks. What this does is lower their expectations in the beginning, and then you can make a bigger bang with your new school tricks.

7. Finish big! Don’t just end a trick, bind, and go home. Make the ending exciting somehow. Launch a 4A yoyo into a trash can, or a friend waiting to catch it in the audience. Something cool and unexpected!

8. Plan ahead: Have a general idea of what you’re trying to do in your routine. Know when to switch to other styles, and have a back-up yoyo.

9. Don’t be risky! The hard tricks don’t impress as much as they should. Avoid knots and mistakes by avoiding tricks that you’re shaky on.

10, and most important: Have fun! If you’re having fun, then they’ll enjoy themselves. That’s what it’s all about, making the people and yourself feel good!

Good luck!

22 Likes

request a sticky

Amazing guide!

Very awesome. Great post Xdohl.

Awesome! This went into my favorites!

This post is up there with the best of 'em. Such a great post, and it should be stickied.

Awesome.

I am going on a Cruise in a few weeks (We take one every 3 years :D) and last time I remember a Talent show, I might see if they have one this time, if so I will totally use this :).

Awesome Post.

Hey Xdohl, I dont mean to jack your thread but:

Here is a good example of what your talking about…

If you look at these two videos of Augie (Yeah, I know, I post alot of Augie vids… So what?)

this one hes preforming for a crowd:

And this on he’s at worlds:

If you look at the difference in styles its crazy. In video 1 he does pinwheels and hops and Boing-e-boing…and he saves all his tech stuff for Video 2.

And other stuff, like all the behind the head catches and if you look at around 0:33 he starts with a hop combo. Before he does the behind the head hop he:

Alright, sorry to steal the spotlight but I saw that one video a while ago and reading this a second time made me remember it and I thought it would help as a visual aid to your guide

Oh, yeah, you had to put this right after I majorly failed in the talent show with a string knot. Thanks a lot, Xdohl. Haha, just kidding! Great post, man.

Great example Mitch! Glad y’all liked this.

I second this

Thanks, really. This is just the help I need.

This is post is a month old, no need to bring it back besides the fact that it is really helpful, you could have used the thank you button instead.

This thread couldn’t really die though…it’s a guide…

also you do the cowboy trick where you jump over the yoyo

Referring back to the example videos of Augie Fash. Wow they don’t even look like the same person. But after I knew they were both Augie I could tell. It seems in the first video he was not “hefty” at all

bringin it back again for a sticky request!!!

dont hate me for it cuz this does deserve a sticky

Very awesome Xdohl. This really helped me for my performance on my school. ;D

Thanks Jeremy. This’ll help me with my AGT thing if I get in. Might I also add that you should also get the audience involved too like quarter flick or match lighting. If the crowd goes Wha, whaa, whoa! Then you’re good.