Diameter: 59 mm
Width: 64 mm
Gap Width: ~3. mm
Weight: 70 g
Response System: clear RTV silicone
Bearing: flat CBC 8ball
Material: maple
Finish: smooth varnish/lacquer/not sure how it’s called in english

of course it has vibe, but not as much as i expected (i did expect a lot though…). it doesn’t sleep as long as i’d like, i guess that’s partially because of the way wood rubs against the string.

the important thing - it doesn’t have a name, so suggestions are welcome!

The freight train? That is awesome man!!! Where can I buy?

Pretty sweet!

@RGTproyoyo
awww man, ya really had to quote the whole darn thing?

never going to be for sale :smiley:

i have enough wood for another one, i’ll see if i get around making it. the next one will probably be not as ridiculously wide and a bit wider higher. (derp)

you should try hollowing it out and adding weight rings so you have more focus towards the rims weighting

Thats pretty cool actually.

How’s the thumb grinds?

2 Likes

It’s too late for this one, but i could try it in next one. It just seems to be a really hard thing to do, because of the way each half is mounted in the lathe.

what could i use? would rubber weight rings be heavy enough?

Awesome job man! It looks incredible! :slight_smile: Just a quick question though. How did you thread the axle through the yoyo? How did you make the threads in the wood, so that the axle could fit through them?

Thanks, Hudson

Looking good man! :smiley:

i didn’t make the threads in wood itself, there are threaded brass inserts that keep the thing together. you can sort of see them when looking at the side of the yoyo, they are seated deeper in the wood because i didn’t have axle that long

Ok thanks, I have been wanting to do a project like this and the threads are the only thing that I couldn’t do.
P.s thanks for the quick reply!

Looks like an elongated Super G

rubber weight rings should be fine

Wow, it is scary how similar their profiles look! (other than it being stretched)

That was my first thought too. I think this is pretty awesome…

I wasn’t going for something super original, but something simple and reproducible, so i could make both sides somewhat identical. I knew i’ve seen the shape somewhere before, just couldn’t remember where.

hardest part will be drilling the axle holes. Lathe mounted drill would be perfect, because with regular stationary drills some off-center will be created.

i can’t really make a bowl on the side, because it’s mounted in the lathe, i could make a groove for a ring to sit in, but it would still be very tricky. I’ll add rubber rings to my shopping list and try to figure something out.

hardest part will be drilling the axle holes. Lathe mounted drill would be perfect, because with regular stationary drills some off-center will be created.
[/quote]
Thanks for all the advice and information. I really appreciate it!

Thanks for all the advice and information. I really appreciate it!

yesterday i made 2 things, a name for the line on my creations - Firewood, and…

Firewood II

stats:
Diameter: 55 mm
Width: 62 mm
Gap Width: ~3.2 mm
Weight: 86.2 g*
Material: Maple
Axle: 5mm, uses ghetto-side-effect system**
Bearing Size: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
Response: clear RTV silicone

*- I’ll make a small cup below the weight ring to make it lighter, this finger-breaking weight doesn’t seem appropriate.
**- available in pretty much any hardware store

It’s still not finished, it needs to be polished a bit more and varnished, and the rings aren’t glued in.