Styles of Play

1A
•1A- string tricks done with a single yoyo, ideally unresponsive and butterfly shaped. Hops, grinds, green triangles, and whips are common. The most common style.

•Tourniquet- The string is attached to your arm near your elbow using a slipknot. This style allows for a large amount of string for doing body involved tricks. Best if done with long string. Uncommon. Can also be done in 2A-4A. 5A wouldn't work well.

•1/2A- The yoyo is grabbed while spinning, causing it to unscrew. Due to gyroscopic forces, the spinning half remains upright. Most easy 1A elements are possible. Best if a concave bearing is used. Uncommon.

•Moebius- An unresponsive yoyo and slipknot are used for tricks in which the yoyo is maneuvered on, through, and around the slipknot. Named after the Möbius strip, but called Moebius because typing the ö is hard to do... Unless using an iPod. Common. Can be done in other styles, but goest by different names. 2A: Dualbius, 3A: Triobius, 4A: Offbius, 5A: Astrobius.

•Fixed Axle- a fixed axle yoyo is used for 1A tricks with the added elements of stalls and regens. Common. Some competitions have divisions for this. 

•1.5A- an additional string is attached to your other hand. It can be done with an extra normal string, an extra counter weight string, or a loop of string. Can also be done in 4A or 5A. Very Uncommon.

•Matador- a style of play in which the yoyo is grabbed and its tilt is manipulated. Although impressive, there are few tricks that need this. Common.

•Loaf- One handed tricks done mostly from a gunslinger/plastic whip. Common.

•Hidden Eel- style in which a swivel is attached in such a way that the string can be pulled through the swivel. Very new style. Common. 

•Alpha- a term used to describe a deliberately smooth trick. If done in the dark with a glowing yoyo, the yoyo would smoothly glide through the air.

•A Minus- also called A-, it is a style of play where a fully unwound and unspinning yoyo is used to do tricks. Most tricks are done by holding the yoyo, hopping it onto a string one time, and then recatching it. This keeps it from turning over sideways. I recommend using a high walled yoyo.

•2D- 2 Dimensional, made by Ryan Gee. The yoyo is put horizontal on a flat surface and slid across, landing in typical 1A mounts. The lack of gravity makes some tricks, like sea sick, very easy, but because its flat down you can't pass over strings, so things like wrist mounts are not possible. Can be done with a dead yoyo or a spinning yoyo with protruding hubstacks.

Double Dragon- using two strings on one yoyo, innovated by Ky Zizan. Counterweight can also be done. Very, very hard.

2A
•0A- looping with one hand. Where most people begin 2A. Constitutes of loops, regens, around the worlds, and shoot the moons. Very common.

•2A- Looping with two hands. Constitutes of loops, around the worlds, punching bags, and twisters. Very difficult and hard to learn, although very impressive to watch. Common.

•7A- looping with two counterweight yoyos. A very difficult and undeveloped style. Looping with one counter weight yoyo is easier and more practical, but is very rarely done. If you did counterweight 0A in a 5A contest, I have no idea how it would be scored. Although technically 5A, the tricks would be so different from everything else the judges might not give you any points. Very very uncommon. No video.

3A
•3A- two unresponsive yoyos used for string tricks. Has mounts/trick categories called houses, for example; Kink house: tricks where the two yoyos strings touch each other. (I think). Common.

•Slave- like 3A, but one yoyo has no string on it. Very uncommon. The most common trick is doing a Lindy Loop from a Brain Scrambler Mount, with the unstrung yoyo in place of your hand, and then throwing the unstrung yoyo down so that the two yoyos spin around each other until the unstrung one flies out backwards. The second most common trick is a one-handed Boingy Boing. Very very uncommon. 

•Doubles- Having two yoyos in one hand, and doing string tricks with them. The strings are normally placed on the pointer finger and ring finger. Very hard and similar to normal 3A. There are several tricks developed, floating around the Internet.

•Asquared- two hubstacked unresponsive yoyos on either end of a string. This allows for 5A like manuevers. When not hubstacked it is called hydra, and when there is a counter weight in the middle it is called cherry. Hydra is normally done with looping yoyos. Very very uncommon.

•Real 3A- 3 yoyos being used at once. 

4A
•4A- a yoyo is unattached to its string. Tricks are done by throwing the yoyo in a forward pass or other method and then being caught on its string. 4A yoyos usually have rubber rims to prevent damage. Tricks constitute of hops, orbits, and tosses and catches. Common.

•Soloham- tricks using two 4A yoyos on one string, though two strings are used for binding and throwing. Uncommon. Normally allowed in 4A competitions.

•Open Loop-any sub-style in which a doubly long string is folded back to form into a loop. Very uncommon.
      -Go West- a slipknot and swivel are used.
                ~Washing Machine- a Go West sub-style. A string with very low tension is untwisted and the yoyo is popped up and out into 4A, and then popped back into 1A.
      -Freehand Open Loop- a counterweight is used to control string tension.
      -Sumo- a Slippery Eel setup is used to control string tension. The name comes from SUper-MOebius.

•Doc Pop Style- offstring with a paperclip or other light counterweight at the end of the string, allowing for easier one handed regens. Very very uncommon. No video.

•Freehand Offstring- offstring with a counterweight of normal weight being used. This allows for a large amount of possible tricks, such as midair whips into the yoyo and then catching the counterweight as it comes around. Uncommon.

5A
•5A- A style in which there is a counterweight instead of a slipknot. Allows for tricks in which both the counterweight and yoyo are airborne. Common. Probably the second most common style.

•Sliding Counterweight- a setup which enables the counterweight to slide is used.

•Double Dice- in addition to the normal counterweight, there is a sliding one. Becoming more popular as more tricks are being developed.

•Slippery Eel- a setup where there is no counterweight or slipknot, and the yoyo is held by pinching the string. The majority of tricks are either the weight of the yoyo pulling the string through the air, green triangles being made by pulling the end of the string through loops, or the yoyo being thrown under legs or behind your back. Very very uncommon.

•Double Freehand- two 5A, Sliding Counterweight, Double Dice, or Slippery Eel yoyos are used. Very hard to do do to the 4 objects flying through the air. Normally allowed at 5A competitions.

•1AD- 1A with a sliding counterweight attached. Hard to throw and catch the yoyo. Very very uncommon. 

•Free Throwing- using a counterweight yoyo to interact with you environment. 4A and 1A yoyos can also be used. The most famous trick: Walk the Dog. Can be done in other styles.
1 Like

A lot of the videos are wrong… I watched about 5 and 3 were wrong already, and 2 were the same videos…

Really? Hmmm…

Oh yeah, your right… I must have not copied some so others got put down two or three times…

You have a lot of time on your hands! But all in all nice insightful post

I remember Zammy posting something like, ‘Yoyowiki isn’t the best resource, but it does seem to be the only resource.’ That annoyed me. So I made this. Too bad the videos are messed up… Now I have to go on a computer and hit the modify buying and open a new tab and go on YouTube and… snore

Maybe you should put 0A Moebius in there :wink:

I gotta try me some 4A moebius sometime soon.

Is that real?

I just thought it up haha and I alos thought up a few tricks for it, it would be like throwing a hard sleeper, pulling the moebius thing out, and then doing planet hops or some trick like that with the yoyo in the center of the moebius loop. idk haha its hard to explain.

EDIT: And also add Moebius Fixed Axle play, I know for fact that could work.

Shh i get what your saying about 4a moebius and I could totally do it if i was any good at 4a or morbius xD

These links need work. For instance under 2A you have:
m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JUkoRM1OWBM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJUkoRM1OWBM
It should instead be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUkoRM1OWBM
While this links to the same video more efficiently, it actually isn’t showing any 2A from what I can tell.

I know… My iPod always messes up videos…

First I want to say I appreciate your work for what you did.

HOWEVER

The format for the styles of play at Yoyo wiki is perfectly fine and should not be redone.

-Also, moebius fixed axle play? I’ve seen it but it doesn’t deserve its own entry. with the main line of moebius styles.

-Leave the other moebius variants under Moebius.

-Tourniquet should just be called Tourniquet.

-Go east? Never heard of it. Unless there is proof of video with multiple people calling it. Ala like that hidden eel stuff.

With that said, its great to post videos for it, but it would spam the wiki styles of play page.
Good to have it hear on Expert though. I’ve made posts like these in the past only for them to be ignored and lost. There has also never been a sixth A. Although Moebius was once referenced as 6a a very long time ago.

Right now, I am taking the time to edit the wiki myself as I have long been the care-taker of it.

What should I put AP under, then?

AP is not considered a style, as more so called a Division. It can house many different styles.

Got rid of the videos, changed the name of Go East and fixed the Tourniquet name.

Something I noticed while typing this is that though there’s a lot of styles, there’s only 5 ‘concepts’, which is the 5A’s… Every style is just a spinoff… Besides maybe 1/2A… Although even that is just a harder version of 1A…

Go to the YYJ Destiny video on here Takeshi does 1AD in that.

I’m pretty sure that’s DD.

Ive got doubles and 3 at once in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjrklS2m3s&feature=youtu.be

1 Like