BST Yo-Yo Damage & How You Set A Price

Okay, I noticed some differences, in prices set for yo-yos, that have a certain amount of cosmetic damage. Some of you believe cosmetic damage devalues a yo-yo to a greater extent than others. I am curious what process you guys use to determine what you think a throw is worth, after assessing the damage. For some of you, maybe there is no process, and you just look at the yo-yo, and a price pops into your head. But some of you must have a process for determining your asking prices.

I tend to use this one:

Retail - a percentage (based on damage) +/- credit for rarity (or not)

For example, for me, a ding automatically means the throw should be 40% off retail. I call that a beater.

For example, a $100 yo-yo with damage would look like this:

Factory ano flaw, may set price at full value = $100
A scratch, does not break ano,15% off = $85
A scratch, does break ano, 30% off = $70
Several scratches, 40% off = $60

A flat spot or nick 30% off = $70
A few or more flat spots or nicks 40% off = $60

1 ding, 40% off =$60
Several dings at least 50% off = $50

Any combination of damage = at least 50% off
For example, a scratch and a ding drops it to at least $50

As you can see, I hate buying damaged yo-yos, and will not pay much, if I know it is flawed. Does anyone else use a formula, or do you just wing it? I donā€™t literally use a written guide, but tried to write out my thought process for the first time just for this post. By the way, I think I set prices typically on the low side or ā€œpriced to sell.ā€ I hate damage and tend to overstate it in my BST for that reason.

Any thoughts?

Looks good to me but I think it shouldnā€™t apply to all yoyos like say more rare yoyos such as Peaks Torrents ect.

I usually take the yoyo and immediately drop like 10% for it just being used. Then I do like sets of 10% for each bit of damage n

To me the same principle that applies to cars applies to yoyos. The moment you drive a car away from the dealership, the car loses a sizeable portion of its value.

Also, why should I pay a person I know nothing about the full price for a new yoyo, rather than getting it from a store I know and trust for the same price. The store would probably give me more security anyway; if the yoyo I ordered off of the BST got lost in the mail, the person I bought it from would most likely say ā€œsorry, better luck next time.ā€ A reputable store would most likely ship me another one, to replace the one that got lost.
/rant

However, I like your system of damages. Very detailed

1 Like

I usually take off a bit from the start, just because it is ā€œusedā€. But if it has damage I take off what I feel is necessary, from 10-50 percent off

1 Like

I agree with pretty much everything above: apart from one throw Iā€™ve sold all other were dramatically reduced from retail price despite being in decent condition. I donā€™t really ding throws, so any that I have bought will be in good condition, but for anything over $100 retail, I still envisage a $40 reduction or thereabouts, purely based on the fact that it is no longer new. Besides which, and this is something which so many BSTers fail to grasp, if youā€™re getting rid of it it means you donā€™t like it enough to keep it! Therefore you should hardly be surprised if you donā€™t get something like your money back.

As far as damage goes, I donā€™t think flatspots and so on should be too much of an issue, particularly if theyā€™re not really visible as theyā€™re unlikely to effect play, or prove too much of an aesthetic problem. Anything that clearly breaks the ano, and is really visible when even glancing at the throw should significantly reduce its value, but once that stage has been reached any further damage in my opinion should not diminish the cost further. Once damaged, the throw is there to be played rather than admired, and so further aesthetic issues are no longer a concern. If I were pricing these things, a serious ding(s) would reduce a $100 metal to about $40 and keep it constant thereafter.

Rarity I think is the most interesting thing discussed here wrt damage. For my mind, ā€˜collectorsā€™ want throws as close to mint as possible, and so a ding to a rare throw should have a much greater price-deflating effect than on an everyday type of yoyo. I donā€™t really see why people would pay much more for a dinged up peak than a dinged up Catalyst, because once again, at this stage these things are just there to be thrown and have negated the value to more serious collectors. Anyway, thatā€™s just my 2 cents worth, but good thread!

1 Like

Great point, and one I rarely see articulated on the forum. I personally, (even if a throw is new in the box), deduct 10% off, just so someone will take a chance and buy from me on the BST, rather than a store. I also tend to offer free shipping, which a store usually does not do. Only exception I can think of, is if I had a rare colorway or yo-yo that has sold out in stores. In that case, I would I expect full price, but even then, Iā€™d grant free shipping.

Sounds like a simple and reasonable guideline to apply to this. I love seeing mint throws sold for 50% off. Rare, but great when people are trusted sellers who just want to unload the stuff. I usually see things 50% off if they are beat, so I consider a mint one a true bargain. A few of the best deals lately were a mint Yelets I bought for $40 shipped. Also, a near mint Punchline Repeater (very hard to find tiny light mark the size of a pin needle does not break ano) for $45 shipped. Great deals!

I agree on much of this. Tiny flat spots are not so bad to look at, and can be hard to find. Breaking ano just looks so much worse. I had trouble setting a range on those flat spots. I have never put anything on my BST that had dings, as I donā€™t ding mine eitherā€¦pretty careful so far. Iā€™m a collector type and always want ā€œmint.ā€ I tend to be upset if I find even slight marks on throws, because I usually donā€™t buy if it is in any way not mint. And, I consider a yo-yo greatly devalued by these marksā€¦from a collector standpoint. I also agree that once a certain ā€œdamage thresholdā€ is brokenā€¦itā€™s a beater yo-yo and meant to be playedā€¦ not admired. Well said. I personally only have 12 to 15 throws I actually play. The rest are collectors. Those 12 to 15 may have a light mark here or there.

I like your pricing system. One thing I tend to keep in mind as well when pricing yoyos is demand. If something retailed for $100 3 years ago, and is still mint in package, but no one really wants it anymore, then itā€™s probably not going to fetch the $100 today.

1 Like

I agree, and include something in the formula for rarity (or not) to factor in demand. It is a shame that you see so many nice throws on BST in great condition, but because it is in the market in great supply, the demand is low, and it sits on BST forever. Sometimes, there are just too many in the wild.

Iā€™m fairly new to using the BST, but if Iā€™m selling, I tend to just put the price at whatever Iā€™d feel comfortable letting it go for. Damage or not, I donā€™t look forward to letting any of my throws go, so I set a price that will justify me selling one of my babies. With that being said, Iā€™m definitely not looking to rip anyone off, so I think the prices I ask are pretty fair as well. Itā€™s a strange balance of wanting to be satisfied with the exchange, but still wanting to give someone a nice deal and get my throw into some new hands that will show it the love it deserves. I think we can all relate to this somewhat, hmm?

If I am buyingā€¦ I really just comes down to how badly I want the throw. Iā€™m a huge stickler for damage, but Iā€™m sure if I wanted something bad enough Iā€™d make horrible financial decisions to get it. ;D

For me, I just donā€™t bother with damaged throws. It makes BSTā€™ing much easier.

It is good to have some form of reasonable reference. But some things can stray from Totalartists list.

For example> say you have a 100+ dollar yoyo. And it has a little ā€˜road rashā€™ from 5A play. But it is an excellent 5A yoyo. And the guy selling it on the BST states the damage very clearly(and is at least hoping another 5A player will want it)ā€™ I see no problem with the guy not wanting to give it away for 40 or 50 percent off.

I think it is purely up to the potential buyer, how much he is willing to pay for a yoyo.

I think it is of primary importance that the seller be as clear as possible on the condition of the yoyo. I think misrepresenting the condition of a yoyo is more of a concern than the ā€˜priceā€™ of a yoyo.

2 Likes

The sellers reputation is also a variable in determining how much one can expect in exchange for a yoyo. Sellers with many transactions and high feedback, and well known respected members are more likely to get my business and I may choose to pay a bit more. I mostly buy, trade occasionally, and seldom sell, (never have on this forum). Iā€™m not usually looking to make a great deal, just make a fair trade or pay a reasonable price, keeping both parties happy.

Whilst I completely understand where you are coming from, I feel more like those throws Iā€™m looking to trade are a simple bartering tool to a throw I want. If youā€™re trading it, you donā€™t want to keep it because you donā€™t like it enough - therefore Iā€™m happy to trade much more supposed ā€˜valueā€™ on my end to acquire a yoyo I might throw: Iā€™m not too worried about recouping cost because a yoyo you donā€™t throw/enjoy as a collectors piece has no intrinsic value at all. Iā€™d definitely prefer my throws to go to someone whoā€™ll enjoy them though, but I guess on a forum like this thatā€™s probably a bit daft because most people will. But, I guess the point of this was that I want to use throws Iā€™m going to trade to entice someone into trading something Iā€™m really intoā€¦ :slight_smile: And I couldnā€™t agree with Skitrz more, BST reputation and my previous personal experiences will definitely shift what Iā€™m prepared to pay.

Very true. Also a buyer like Yoyospirit, might see scratches and marks or other damage that can be stripped and polished out, as invisible, because he has the ability to make it disappear. I would not view the throw the same as he would, or someone who modifies yo-yos like yourself can create magic with a fixer upper. So, for me, damage is much worse than to a modder, or that 5A player who is not only used to looking at throws with 5A marks, but knows that even on a mint yo-yo, it would inevitably get marked up due to that style of play.

So based on the above, Yoyospirit might pay more for a yo-yo with damage than I would, because he can strip it, polish it, keep it, or flip it and profit from it.

I look at the yoyo and think, what would I pay for this?

Iā€™ve thought the same question, but for me, to determine an answer, I always start with the retail price, factor in damage, and then consider the rarity or collectibility from my point of view. That usually gives me a ballpark figure.

Any yo-yo with a ding that is not at least 40% off, I would never buy it. I usually skip those BST posts because, in my opinion the seller is asking too much. If I saw a post for a $100 throw with 2 dings, listed for $70, I would see it as a $50 item. I could not even meet half way at $60. :stuck_out_tongue:

At least for me when it comes to ā€œrareā€ colorways. If it has damage I instantly consider it the same as a normal colorway because most collectors donā€™t care about it now.