GUIDE to putting together a good competition/show/noncompetition freestyle.

First I would like to say, if there is already a thread like this, please direct me to it.

Ooc: in this thread I would like to ask competetive or non competitive yoyoers there ideas and opinions to putting together a good freestyle routine, and eventually there will be enough material to put it in a constantly updating guide.

My points are

• play by the rules, you want as many points as possible right?
  • Be original, but not too original, discovering new moves and tricks is difficult correct? Put together many tricks, make them your own.
  • use tricks that count, doing a million tricks is not as good as doing 100 tricks that are appealing, smooth, what the judges are looking for
  • smile
  • Don’t do anything you don’t down solid.
  • be relaxed. Not uptight, i have seen pros do breathing excersises before there performance, set down the yoyo for a while, dont sweat it.
  • if it is an outside competition and it is Hot/humid, wear gloves! even if you think it won’t be a problem, wear them anyway.
    pro tip: I saw Harold Owens III do this before he placed fourth in the 2012 world yoyo contest. If you do not like gloves, but your hands get sweaty, use spray deoderant on your hands.

Sorry this is just a start, and i just started competing so I am an absolute noob. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. smile
  2. Don’t do anything you don’t down solid.
  3. be relaxed.
  4. if it is an outside competition and it is Hot/humid, wear gloves! even if you think it won’t be a problem, wear them anyway.

Or baby powder. Saw this at MWRs

And there’s one thing you can not forget to do… have fun!

1 Like

that works very well to, and is cheaper.

1.Pick your yoyo
2.Play your yoyo
3.JUST HAVE FUN

tip 1: win

Don’t have to do that.

Just have fun!

That’s the main purpose.

Remember that winning probably won’t happen. Sad as it sounds, its true…
If you think about the big picture you will get nervous and lock up. Chances are if you are winning you probably know what you are doing in the first place.