YYF super G

The Yoyo Factory Super G

INTRO

After this yoyo first came out and I had layed eyes on the design for the first time, I immediatly thougt “Wow, what an audacious design… this one is a must try”… i still think so… this yoyo is great, and I will be breaking it down, giong into the good and bad of this yoyo.

PRESENTATION

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg851/scaled.php?server=851&filename=supergreview001.jpg&res=medium

This yoyo comes in a standard YYF box… its nice and all, easy to open, especially compared to something that comes in those nasty clear plastic packages, but its pretty standard.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg406/scaled.php?server=406&filename=supergreview002.jpg&res=medium

I got the orange acid wash, which I gotta say is probably one of the most pleasing colors ive seen on a metal in a long time… to be honest, I like simple colorways… splashes count, but only if its a solid color, with a solid splash… start mixing multi colored acid washes with splashes and laser etched art it really starts looking gross.

SPECS

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg403/scaled.php?server=403&filename=supergreview003.jpg&res=medium

Diameter-2.22 inches
Width-1.69 inches
Weight-68.1 grams
Gap and Bearing - size C
Silicone response - flowable or CBC 19mm slim pads

PLAY

Like I said previously, this one is a must try, especially if you like either the Genesis or the Supernova, because its almost a hybrid of the two. Its full sized which means the weight on the rim will carry with nice momentum providing excellent stability and spin time, and it does. As far as sleep time goes, I estimate it gives an extra 20% on average compared to my other throws… The shape sorta comes from a Genesis and moves toward the Supernova, resulting in the inner halves of each side being lowered and allowing a little faster play than the Genesis, especially those of the hubstacked variety. The gap is plenty wide for easy string landing… if you find yourself missing, then you just need more practice.

The finish is pretty smooth, comparable to that of a Supernova, Genesis, or pretty much any other fundemetal or premium yoyo that YYF dosnt parade as super smooth like the 888 or skyline… palm and thumb grinds work pretty well, but finger grinds get weird sometimes, even more so for those with large fingers… i know my fingers dont quite fit in the little brother the G funk, but the larger size here seems to work fine for me.

OTHER THINGS

You will notice in my pix that ive dropped a center trac bearing in… it is not included with the yoyo… I just find that they normally take less maintanence than the standard SPEC

Mine seems to be eating at the string, right where the string meets the bearing… im not saying everyones will do this, but there is a possibility, and it is the players responsibility to keep an eye on the string and check for damage

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg607/scaled.php?server=607&filename=supergreview006.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg823/scaled.php?server=823&filename=supergreview005.jpg&res=medium

BOTTOM LINE

This yoyo is Great… and for the record, so is the G funk if youre on a smaller budget… Hi stability and sleep time, not too fast not too slow, this yoyo is a recipe for style that you can use to flaunt technical tricks that arent so fast paced, and if they are fast tricks, it will rise to the occasion… this yoyo is also great for 3a and 5a, because of the stability, but if youre a super beginner at these styles i would reccomend a plastic instead… but its also a great first metal and for 85$ you cant go wrong.

1 Like

Nice review! Makes me want one

I played a friend’s in the summer, it was amazing. Perfect weight, perfect float, perfect grinds(arm grinds). Very unique feel in hand( I’m talking about the middle finger resting in the gap. I love everything about it.

When I saw it I just thought “this has Genesis written all over it. Could they not come up with something even mildly different?”
I’d still prefer the Genesis if I had to choose a YYF product.

I just got a Super G after much research and some good input from zerrubabbel. I really like it, I’m surprised I wasn’t able to find much information about it before I bought it.

I’ve been running it through some tricks for the last couple days and thought I would add some thoughts. I’m too lazy to do a full review and there’s already a good review right here.

*Really long spin time and great stability.

*The Super G looks great in your hand. I don’t think online pics do it justice.

*My middle finger fits snugly in the gap and this seems to lend itself to really straight throws.

*Snap starts are super easy. I don’t have to ‘snap’ so much as just flick my wrist forward.

*The wide open gap area makes landing on the string easy.

*This yo yo binds really well. I’ve gotten it back to my hand when the yo yo was nearly spun out.

*I got the blue ‘lasered’ version available now at the expert. It’s my first lasered yo yo so I’m not sure if the lasering is for looks or to help with grinding, but this yo yo grinds great on the back of my hand and up my arm and it’s stability keeps it spinning straight coming off a grind. Can’t do a finger grind as my finger fits into the gap.

*If you throw straight, the yo yo stays straight. If you throw crooked or mess up during a trick, the yo yo will stay crooked. I like this aspect of the stability, but it means the yo yo doesn’t do any self-correcting. If you knock the yo yo off plane, you have to make an effort to nudge it back. It won’t even itself out. I don’t do any horizontal play, but I imagine this yo yo would excel at it because of this.

*I do the occasional regen and this yo yo regens great. It almost always comes out nice and straight.

I’m running my Super G on a centertrac bearing and some yoyoexpert twisted string.