How to remove a bearing and its shield

Sorry, I’m starting with shields because someone needs to know. Updating soon.

Incase you don’t know, here’s a bearing.

It’s the round thingy by the axle. You know, the metal part that’s sticking out?

Removal:
Take pliers. You can see where you should grip the bearing in this picture. http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx348/batryn/bearingremoval1.jpg
See the bearing in the pliers? Grip it there.

Now, take the pliers, and place them over the bearing like so: http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx348/batryn/bearingremoval2.jpg

Notice how it’s not touching the yoyo? Because that would be bad. Now, take the yoyo with your left hand, and the pliers with your right. Squeeze firmly but gently. If the pliers slip, too light. If the bearing turns into a rectangle, too heavy. Now, with your left hand, gently rock the yoyo as though the ends of it were a see saw or something. Just rock. Use the bearing as a fulcrum. Keep rocking, and eventually, the bearing will start moving. Keep rocking, and once it looks loose, just pull it out. It didn’t come out??? Rock some more. You can actually just keep rocking the yoyo until it comes out, but it’s faster to rock it loose enough to just pull out.

Shield Removal:
Basically, in the bearing, there’s a clip that will hold the yoyo together. This is known as a C-Clip. It’s the piece of metal that looks like a C.

Now to get it out, take a needle, or pushpin, or something nice and pointy, and jam it into the clip. The clip is located on the outer diameter of the yoyo, right underneath the piece that actually touches the yoyo. Now, all you need to do is find the gap in the C clip, that’s in the bearing, and push it out. Don’t try to pull it out, push it towards the center, there’s an overhang to prevent you just pulling it. Push towards the center. Now, if you look, the C clip is not made evenly, it’s cut uneven. The part where the C clip ends, the top part, is cut at an angle, and if you wedge your needle in there, it’ll actually retain your needle instead of just letting it slip off. Then, all you have to do is lever it towards the middle, and the C clip should pop out. Then, just shake the shields off, and repeat on the other side.

1 Like