CLYW Sasquatch Review - with a surprise!

Yeah… I know. I know… I’m biased right?

well sure.

Bias #1 - I like yoyos.
If you’re reading this, then I’m assuming you and I share at least 1 bias.

Bias #2 - CLYW is my favourite return-top company
Feel free to disagree with this… but there you have it. You know the stakes of reading this review.

That being said… I’m a big fan of lots of other companies, large and small. Duncan, YYF, SPYY, OD, Anti-Yo, Crucial, RecRev, BBYY, ILYY, etc etc.

Anyhow… onto the review.

If you want a model that spins and spins… this is your retro-winding double knob toy of choice.

The play is dead smooth like the 3rd gen peaks/gnarwhals/LB bassalopes/ etc. You want high standards? They’re there.

It’s the same shape as the Gnarwhal, but just bigger… annnnnd believe it or not, this makes a substantial difference.
If you’ve got a Gnarwhal, you’re very lucky, they’re fantastic zippy machines of throwing beauty, but they’re not Sasquatches. (and vice versa)

Personally, I like the Sasquatch and the Gnarwhal almost equally, but they definitely have different strengths and weaknesses.

They’re equal in the smoothness department, but I like Gnarwhals better for 5A and regen based tricks… and Sasquatches better for long combos and plane-breaking/off-axis tricks.
Good LORD, Sasquatches are amazing for long combos and plane-breaking/off-axis tricks.

The Sasquatch is THE most stable yoyo ever I’ve played with in my life. It can do 3 or more reps of a lot of plane-breaking tricks (and come back asking for more) that tend to bring the speed of a lesser yoyo to a near halt after just one.

ALSO… let it be known,
I’m NOT a point-grabbing type of guy when it comes to throwing yoyos, but, if you’re looking to do well in competition, the Sasquatch might just have to be your new go-to yoyo. Before, I always held the Genesis in pretty high regard (and for good reason - they’re fantastic) for long spins with smoothness and stability…

… but the Sasquatch blows it out of the water.

in fact… I’ll let this speak for itself.

now… I know that there’s some of you who will go, “big deal! I could do that on a XYZ yoyo…” Fair enough. I can’t.

I’ll go ahead and admit that since I tend to TRY to focus more on trick ideas rather than creating point-filled combos, this is incredibly impressive to ME. I’m just saying… I tried the SAME combo on a Genesis, (my previous ideal for this kinda thing) and could only get about 48 seconds into that same combo on my best attempt. So take that for what you will.

If you’re looking for super easy regens, higher speed, and good balance for 5A - get a Gnarwhal.
If you want something that’s going to give you time to push the limits of how long your combos can get, or something that’s going to open doors for you to try different things that normally kill the spin of the yoyo - this IS for you.

In all honesty, and all other favouritism aside… this is my favourite yoyo I’ve seen from CLYW or any company. I’ve been coming up with tricks like crazy since I got it in my hands. I. just. can’t. put. it. down. It’s comfortable, it’s sleek, and it performs performs performs.

I hope this helps.

Now go buy 5 - you won’t regret it.

2 Likes

Great review, too bad I am in debt and can’t afford one…

5?!

I probably can’t even afford half of it. LOL

Where would one buy one? They are sold out!

Ok, I’m convinced. I will grab at least two the next time their restocked.
Thanks Adam. ;D

Haha i hear you man. if i had the money i would by a gnarwhal and a sasquatch in a heart beat but alas… i am poor.

awesome review. i think i have too many yoyos compared to my level of skill. i would get it otherwise.