Urgent! Mini Motu mod needed

I unwisely just bought a Mini Motu without reading the full specs. I thought the rims were aluminum, like the x-convict. Unfortunalty I found out that is brass, coated with nickel. I am violently allergic to nickle, will break out in a burning rash in about 30 seconds, and will start to suffocate with six hours of contact. Not that I plan to hold it for 6 hours straight, but you get the point. I can coat it with clear nail polish, but would rather not have to deal with the chipping, peeling, and constant reapplying.

Does anyone know how to get the nickel off of the brass rims?

Ooh that stinks.

Get someone to satin it all off for you, or put on clear nail polish, then a clear acrylic top coat. But put on like 6 coats, so it should last a month.

1 Like

return it now! Im sure any yoyo selling site would take the consideration of your health before anything else. Don’t take any chances, what if it somehow touches you in your sleep? You can sufficate.

Just in case anyone has this problem, and I pray you don’t, heres what I did.
after unsuccesfully trying to deplate the bronze with saltwater and a battery, trying to sand and buff it off with my flex shaft, and bombarding it with Walgreens entire nail polish catalog, heres what worked.
2 coats of “Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Hard As Wraps acrylic gel + nylon - clear”.
…Yeah, Thats the whole title. heres a link to confirm.
http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=233

after the 2 coats had dried for a day infront of a fan/space heater, I rubbed it on some short, rough office carpet, which smoothed out the bumps perfectly. Then let it dry another 2 days till it stopped smelling, and I knew all of the solvent had evaporated.
This stuff is like liquid armor.
Thnx for the acrylic suggestion  ;D

Give it to somebody to sand it off. You shouldn’t do it. The coating will turn to dust and float around you. Anybody can satin.

Thats awful… If your coating doesn’t work, and you cant return it, (probably not after your coating… ) you might wanna trade it…

Good luck!

Your so unlucky, its kind of sad that you cant enjoy your yoyo because your alergic to it :(.

Could be worse. Could be shellfish.
Anyway, I put that Sally hansen stuff on it and now I can play with it all day with no problem. That stuff never comes off no matter what I do to it. It does smell like acetone a bit though, and the coated metal feels slightly… greasy?, but it works and it didn’t have any negative effect on how it plays. Probably. Not like I could use it in it’s stock state.
Regardless, I’ve had it in my pocket everyday since 12/28. Love it! It’s like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of my collection. Definalty worth the trouble.

Just sand it off. Easy and improves grinds. But ask some one else to do it.

Whoa! Glad you like the yoyo, but sorry about your allergy.
Next time maybe ask if a yoyo is nickel plated before buying lol. :slight_smile: